Contact person: Head of Hydrochemistry division Galina Garnaga-Budrė. Phone: +370 683 05136
Lead Partner: Kristianstad University (Sweden)
Project duration: January 2017 - December 2019
Total Project budget: 1.6 million EUR; European Regional Development Fund: 1.3 million EUR
Budget of the Project Partner Environmental Protection Agency: 60 000 EUR
The project will combine information on upstream pharmaceuticals consumption patterns with estimates of the downstream discharge of pharmaceuticals from a few selected wastewater treatment plants (WWTPs) located in the coastal regions Skåne (Sweden), Mecklenburg (Germany), Klaipeda (Lithuania) and Pomerania (Poland). Additionally an inventory of the status of existing treatment technologies will be made available. This information will aid WWTPs and authorities in a future implementation of the most suitable advanced treatment technology.
The main outputs of the Project:
- recommendations for actions on how to reduce chemical burden;
- roadmaps for investment in advanced treatment technologies at selected regional WWTPs;
- analysis of pharmaceuticals in wastewater and surface water samples;
- training courses on basic pharmaceutical analysis and advanced treatment technologies;
- awareness raising among consumers.
Kristianstad University, Sweden (Lead Partner),
EUCC - The Coastal Union Germany, Germany,
University of Rostock, Germany,
Gdansk Water Foundation, Poland,
Gdansk University of Technology, Poland,
Environmental Protection Agency, Lithuania
Klaipeda University, Lithuania.
Project web page: www.morpheus-project.eu